Dec 12th 2022
Electrical Safety Tips for the Holiday Season
The holiday season is a beautiful time of year. Unfortunately, each year electrical incidents are caused by faulty or non-compliant electrical equipment, including Christmas lights and decorations.
Business owners are responsible for ensuring the safety of their employees, customers, and premises. This includes taking proper precautions when putting up holiday decorations.
Here are some tips to help you stay safe this holiday season
- Always follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety warnings.
- Ensure all lights, extension leads and powerboards are suitable for your intended use – use indoor and outdoor lights only as recommended.
- Buy Australian-compliant lights – beware of buying non-compliant lights online as they may not meet current Australian standards and may cause fires, electric shock or electrocution.
Be careful working at heights while putting lights up
- Use written safe work procedures.
- Inspect scaffolding/ladders/platforms before each use to make sure they're in good condition.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions on safely setting up and using the equipment.
The Christmas season is a great time of year, but also when electrical hazards are more likely to occur. Following these simple safety tips can help prevent accidents and keep workers safe this holiday season. So take some time reviewing these tips and ensuring you're doing everything possible to stay safe. Happy holidays!
View Decoration Installation - Removal Safe Work Method Statement
View Platform Ladder Safe Operating Procedure
For more information on how we can help improve safety in your workplace, please get in touch with us today.
Author - Craig Cruickshank is the HSEQ Manager and Senior Technical Advisor at SafetyDocs by SafetyCulture.
Craig comes from a construction and environmental background, with experience in both the private and public sectors and is passionate about making health and safety information easy to find and understand for everyone.
Learn more about Craig's work on LinkedIn
Available for instant download and supplied in fully editable MS Word format for use in your business.
Please note that the above information is provided as a comment only and should not be relied on as professional, legal or financial advice.
Share This Article