Aug 17th 2023
WorkSafe urges 'workplace pranksters' to prioritise safety after Auckland gas explosion
A WorkSafe investigation has revealed that an explosion that injured five workers in central Auckland last year was a ‘workplace prank gone wrong.’
In August 2022, a worker left a barbeque gas running overnight in a shipping container.
The following day workers opened the container to start work.
“They could smell gas, and one of the workers joked about igniting his lighter,” WorkSafe said.
“When he did, the gas caught fire and exploded.”
WorkSafe has issued a reminder to ‘workplace pranksters’ to prioritise health and safety following the incident.
Read more here.
Share This Article