Jan 24th 2022
SafeWork SA issues hot work safety alert after farmworker sustains burn injuries while cutting steel drum near Cowell
SafeWork SA has launched an investigation after a worker suffered serious burns injuries while cutting a steel drum with oxy-acetylene equipment at a farm northwest of Adelaide.
According to SafeWork SA, the worker was alone at the time of the incident.
A similar incident occurred at Mannum in 2019.
SafeWork SA reminds anyone who plans to modify a storage drum to first check if that container was used to store flammable liquid or gas.
“Remember even drums that have been empty for a very long time can contain enough residual substance to explode and/or emit hazardous vapour when exposed to heat,” SafeWork SA said.
“Also, be aware that rinsing drums with water does not guarantee vapours are purged.”
Additional information concerning this safety alert is available on the SafeWork SA website.
Share This Article