null

New Zealand waste company fined after fatal poisoning

Jun 6th 2022

New Zealand waste company fined after fatal poisoning

A New Zealand waste company has been sentenced after a worker died from chemical poisoning.

The worker died after being exposed to toxic gas at a treatment pit in Seaview in August 2017.

WorkSafe said the worker was exposed to ‘at least 500 parts per million of hydrogen sulphide.’ The maximum workplace exposure allowed is 10 parts per million over an eight-hour period, the safety watchdog said.

The company was fined $450,000 at the Wellington District Court, and reparations of $360,000 were ordered.

For full details, go to the WorkSafe NZ website.

Share This Article