null

NT WorkSafe issues safety warning after lithium-ion battery explodes

Feb 14th 2022

NT WorkSafe issues safety warning after lithium-ion battery explodes

Northern Territory WorkSafe has issued a safety alert after a lithium-ion battery exploded when it was left inside a vehicle.

The safety agency said the owner of the vehicle left a cordless impact wrench with the battery attached on the back seat when it exploded.

NT WorkSafe's technical services director Anthony Waite said the incident is a timely reminder for everyone about the potential dangers the batteries pose if they are not stored correctly.

“Lithium-ion batteries are classified as a dangerous good, under the Australian Dangerous Goods Code,” Mr Waite said.

“This means there are specific requirements to package, store and transport these types of batteries and the devices and equipment they are found in due to the potential dangers the batteries pose.”

“The main message we have is not to leave or store lithium-ion batteries in hot areas or in direct sunlight, as they can explode and cause a fire risk in your business or home.”

“Fortunately, in this incident, the vehicle was unoccupied, and no one was injured.” Mr Waite said.

Source NT WorkSafe website.

Share This Article